Monday, February 28, 2011

Masks

A factory worker makes carnival masks in Rio de Janiero for Carnival. Wouldn't it be fun to dress up and put on a mask and pretend to be someone else? How many of us do that everyday?

I wore so many masks that I forgot who I really was. I had the mask of addiction and the masks of bipolar. Sometimes I even took on the identities of the people I fell in love with. I was a shell of a person.

Until I got sober this time did I really take a good look and see what was really there. Someone who has made mistakes in the past but still a good person with room for growth. I have forgiven myself and can now move forward.

I don't have to wear masks today. Today I wear my true face. It shows peace, serenity, hope, and love.




We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves. ~François Duc de La Rochefoucauld

1 comment:

  1. its not easy, to not wear masks.. to open yourself up to hurt, to allow yourself to BE hurt by others.. to pretend it doesn't bother you, to pretend you're someone else.. someone cooler, smarter, whatever. It's served me over 95% of my life. It hasn't been up until the last 3 years that I had to take a long hard look at myself.. what I was doing, why, and where I was going. It's extremely sobering. In the end, no mask fits, and you leave yourself open to all this pain. I don't know if I'll ever get used to it.

    ReplyDelete