Thursday, February 10, 2011

Serenity Now

Yesterday I was saying the Serenity Prayer for some tolerance. Then later it dawned on me, or came to me divinely, that I cannot control this person but I can control how I react to her. Now I know this is not new to most people and it is not new to me either. Considering this person's age, she is more than likely not going to change and I am going to love her as she is, quirks and all. I thought more and decided an amends was in the works for making a judgment on her driving. Also, an intervention may need to be scheduled for her dependence on Frontierville. Just saying.

Topic seen on a sobriety forum: "What did you replace the drink with??"
I answered with some of my daily routines such as:

My volunteer positions with the hospital and the Alano club
Meetings and meetings after the meetings
Lunch and coffee with my AA friends
Reading
Mall walking with other sober people
Family time
Thrift stores and yard sales


Some said they replaced drinking with life and some said we must learn to become ok in our own skin. I did replace drinking with life. AA gave me life and helped me become comfortable in my skin. I was a depressive wreck who could barely leave the house before I got sober. I wanted to die most of the time. My bipolar was not being treated since I was drinking. Today I am free.


"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth."
William W. Purkey

No comments:

Post a Comment